Adolescent Girls Need Mentors!
Adolescence is the time when children pull away from parents to start forming their own identities. But it is also a time when children need core values, trusting relationships, and strong guidance more than ever, to ensure that they make good life choices and stand strong in who they are and what they believe in.
Young women and girls need adult women in their lives, other than their mothers. Women who will show them the truth about themselves when they cannot see it; women who will teach them to take time for themselves, to listen carefully to their own desires and needs; women who will affirm, support, and listen to them, gently encouraging them to identify and express their feelings; women who will dispel the cultural myths, and instead open them to what it truly means to be a woman.
Five Reasons Why You Should Think About Becoming a Mentor
- You will form mutually rewarding relationships that provide opportunities for both giving and receiving.
- Your wisdom, experience, and encouragement will help a young person realize her full potential.
- You will come to know yourself better as you identify and affirm your own core values and beliefs.
- Your life will be enriched beyond measure through the trusting, learning, healing journey of mentorship.
- You will strengthen your personal relationships, fortify your community, and build a better world.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.